This Page

has been moved to new address

The poor middle child

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots.gif") 50% 0; margin:0; padding:0 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_3dots.gif") no-repeat 250px 50px; width:700px; margin:0 auto; padding:50px 0; text-align:left; } #main { width:450px; float:right; padding:50px 0 20px; font-size:85%; } #main2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots2.gif") -100px -100px; padding:20px 10px 15px; } #sidebar { width:200px; float:left; font-size:85%; padding-bottom:20px; } #sidebar2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots2.gif") 150px -50px; padding:5px 10px 15px; width:200px; width/* */:/**/180px; width: /**/180px; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar2 { width:100%; } } html>body #main, html>body #sidebar { /* We only give this fade from white to nothing to browsers that can handle 24-bit transparent PNGs */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_white_fade.png") repeat-x left bottom; } /* Title & Description ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #blog-title { margin:0 0 .5em; font:250%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#353; } #blog-title a { color:#353; text-decoration:none; } #description { margin:0 0 1.75em; color:#996; } #blog-mobile-title { display:none; } #description-mobile { display:none; } } @media handheld { #blog-title { display:none; } #description { display:none; } #blog-mobile-title { display:block; margin:0 0 .5em; font:250%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#353; } #blog-mobile-title a { color:#353; text-decoration:none; } #description-mobile { display:block; margin:0 0 1.75em; color:#996; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#488; } a:visited { color:#885; } a:hover { color:#000; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 0 .75em; padding-bottom:.35em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font:95%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.3em; color:#663; } .post { margin:0 0 2.5em; line-height:1.6em; } .post-title { margin:.25em 0; font:bold 130%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#333; } .post-title a, .post-title strong { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_post_title.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; display:block; color:#333; text-decoration:none; padding:0 0 1px 45px; } .post-title a:hover { color:#000; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { margin:0; text-align:right; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; color:#996; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; padding-left:15px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; padding-left:15px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #cca; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; border-top:1px dotted #9b9; padding-top:.5em; font:bold 110%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#333; } #comments-block { line-height:1.6em; } .comment-poster { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .35em; margin:.5em 0 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#996; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#996; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* More Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar-title { margin:2em 0 .75em; padding-bottom:.35em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font:95%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.3em; color:#663; } #sidebar p { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } #sidebar ul { margin:.5em 0 1em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bullet.gif") no-repeat 3px .45em; margin:0; padding:0 0 5px 15px; } #sidebar p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-datablock { margin:0 0 1em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 8px 5px 0; border:4px solid #cc9; } .profile-data { margin:0; line-height:1.5em; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } .profile-textblock { clear:left; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; padding:15px 0 0; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding-left: 20px }

Fairly Odd Mother

Frantically waving my magic wand to make wishes come true.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The poor middle child


When I found out I was having a third child several years ago, my first thought flew to Jilly who was going to quickly become a "middle". For some reason, middle children were the objects of much pity when I was younger. Woe is the poor, neglected middle child, and all that jazz.

I bought a birth order book to figure out how to keep my middle child from being totally screwed up by her place in our family.

I shouldn't have worried.

If memory serves me correctly, this book basically said that "middles" were some of the most well-adjusted kids in the family. They weren't pressured and hovered over like first borns, and they weren't babied like the, well, babies.

And, while Jilly is only seven, I think this book may have been right.

A good friend recently wrote about her:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who is so unashamedly *herself* as (Jilly).

I LOVE this quality in her. I love that she hugs everyone, including adults who often look so surprised when they find her arms around their waist.

I love that she dances backwards in the supermarket while I push the carriage toward her, singing "you can't catch me, you can't catch me" as she boogies through the store.

Here she is dancing in Express:



I love that when her YMCA camp held tryouts for their YMCA's Got Talent show, she tried out. By singing opera. I asked her, "what are you going to sing???" and was told, "Mom don't be silly! Opera doesn't have any words!" She didn't make it to the finals, but she was content with her lollipop for trying out.

And when the last day of camp came to a finish on "Hollywood Week", she donned an outfit much too warm for the 80 degree morning, but she sure looked cute.

Photobucket

Her fashion sense is ridiculously awesome. I only wish I could dress with as much freedom as she does. And look so cute in knee socks.

I think my "poor middle child" is doing okay, don't you?



Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Issa said...

I think she's doing amazing.

It's funny but I worried too. Yet my middle kid is so much like yours really. So funny and entertaining and just so her that I really don't worry about it anymore. Maybe the thing about middle kids is they can be anything and everything all at once?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Whirlwind said...

She's doing great! She reminds me alot of my middle child.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl has got some great dance mojo!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Barb said...

She's awesome!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That middle daughter of yours? Precisely like my own middle daughter (who turns 12 today).

Hooray for middles!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Q. said...

I love that girl to pieces. Pure spunk. By dribbling water on my legs to lure me into the pool, or cannonballing next to me until I relent and swim underwater with her, she reminds me to stop acting like a mom already, and get my goofy on.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Julie @ The Mom Slant said...

I have similar worries about CJ, so it's heartening to see that not only is your girl doing fabulously well in her role, but it sounds like our girls have much in common.

6:58 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

We middle children do rock. It must be why everyone comments on my blog so much.

Oh, wait a minute... Dangit.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Julie B. said...

I think if you come from a family with no middle child you might be nervous about the middle child syndrome.... but my brother, definitely the most well adjusted of us 3.
I don't think you have a thing to worry about. And neither do I. My middle child knows EXACTLY what she wants, when she wants it and how to get it. :-)

I do worry though that she does get A LOT of hand me downs, and less choices to make. Maybe that is why when it is her turn to make a choice she just does.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Sarahviz said...

Hmmm...she'd match up with my Middle quite nicely!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous mel said...

She is adorable and the girl has moves!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

Love the outfit! My brother, the middle child, is the most well-adjusted, too. If we decide to have a third, I'm going to remember that, and this post!

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home