This Page

has been moved to new address

Keep Your Friends Off the Pole

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots.gif") 50% 0; margin:0; padding:0 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_3dots.gif") no-repeat 250px 50px; width:700px; margin:0 auto; padding:50px 0; text-align:left; } #main { width:450px; float:right; padding:50px 0 20px; font-size:85%; } #main2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots2.gif") -100px -100px; padding:20px 10px 15px; } #sidebar { width:200px; float:left; font-size:85%; padding-bottom:20px; } #sidebar2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_dots2.gif") 150px -50px; padding:5px 10px 15px; width:200px; width/* */:/**/180px; width: /**/180px; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar2 { width:100%; } } html>body #main, html>body #sidebar { /* We only give this fade from white to nothing to browsers that can handle 24-bit transparent PNGs */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_white_fade.png") repeat-x left bottom; } /* Title & Description ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #blog-title { margin:0 0 .5em; font:250%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#353; } #blog-title a { color:#353; text-decoration:none; } #description { margin:0 0 1.75em; color:#996; } #blog-mobile-title { display:none; } #description-mobile { display:none; } } @media handheld { #blog-title { display:none; } #description { display:none; } #blog-mobile-title { display:block; margin:0 0 .5em; font:250%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#353; } #blog-mobile-title a { color:#353; text-decoration:none; } #description-mobile { display:block; margin:0 0 1.75em; color:#996; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#488; } a:visited { color:#885; } a:hover { color:#000; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 0 .75em; padding-bottom:.35em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font:95%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.3em; color:#663; } .post { margin:0 0 2.5em; line-height:1.6em; } .post-title { margin:.25em 0; font:bold 130%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#333; } .post-title a, .post-title strong { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bg_post_title.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; display:block; color:#333; text-decoration:none; padding:0 0 1px 45px; } .post-title a:hover { color:#000; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { margin:0; text-align:right; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; color:#996; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; padding-left:15px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 .25em; padding-left:15px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #cca; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; border-top:1px dotted #9b9; padding-top:.5em; font:bold 110%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; color:#333; } #comments-block { line-height:1.6em; } .comment-poster { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .35em; margin:.5em 0 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#996; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#996; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* More Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar-title { margin:2em 0 .75em; padding-bottom:.35em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font:95%/1.4em Georgia,Serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.3em; color:#663; } #sidebar p { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } #sidebar ul { margin:.5em 0 1em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/dots/bullet.gif") no-repeat 3px .45em; margin:0; padding:0 0 5px 15px; } #sidebar p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-datablock { margin:0 0 1em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 8px 5px 0; border:4px solid #cc9; } .profile-data { margin:0; line-height:1.5em; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } .profile-textblock { clear:left; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; padding:15px 0 0; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding-left: 20px }

Fairly Odd Mother

Frantically waving my magic wand to make wishes come true.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Keep Your Friends Off the Pole

Good God, I just caught a segment on The Today Show that said that suburban moms are now hosting "Pole Dancing" parties in their home (new! see the video segment here).

In this piece, they showed a bunch of women standing in a circle around a silver pole set up in someone's living room. These moms awkwardly danced to the music while one mom slithered up and down the pole in an attempt to unleash her inner sexual goddess, or something like that.

Am I the only one who would rather plunge a sharp stick in my eye than get together with my neighbors for one of these parties? I can just imagine bumping into the Mr and Mrs at the local restaurant and hearing, "wow, Bill, you should've seen Fairly Odd Mother work that pole last night".

My daughters would be so proud.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger nuttnbunny said...

I have co-workers who do this regularly and love it. Luckily (as much as I like them) they work in another office and have never asked me along.

For crying out loud...

:-)

10:59 AM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I admit, I don't get the whole pole dancing thing. Is it wrong headed to think it's just completely ... I can't find the words... it just seems ...

I understand that women say they are doing it for exercise. Whatever. ...and maybe to feel sexy. BUT they're not giving a single thought to the fact that being objectified makes them feel "sexy" - and where that comes from and how effed up that is...

I can't form a good sentence, but I'll join you with the sharp stick.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Moments Of Mom said...

Ummm, there are certain things I don't want to see my neighbors or co-workers doing.... and on the top of the list is pole dancing.

Good GOD! WHY OH WHY!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who even has a pole in their house? I can't imagine giving someone a tour of my house, then try to explain the silver pole in the bedroom. "Uh....it's a Festivus Pole."

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that!!! My husband and I got a good chuckle out of that.

However, I do know some people who might be up for such a party. The wife threw her hubby a surprise party for his 30th bday at the bowling alley they own. The invite said "adults only." I just figured lots of alcohol. We fork out dough for a babysitter only to find out when we arrive at the party that a stripper is going to give us a show. FULLY NUDE! In a bowling alley. Wife gave the hubby lots of ones.

It was an eye opener fo' shizzy!

So, anyway, when I saw that thing on the Today show - I laughed and then I got scared. Wouldn't be surprised if I got invited to one of those some day! So long as I'm actually on notice that will be happening, I will respectfully decline!!!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mary Alice said...

I actually have an acquaintance who "teaches" those pole dancing parties. Umm...I really don't think so...there is not enough To-kill-ya in all of Olde Mexico to get this Mama greased up on a pole with the rest of PTA posse. I'll stick to tupper ware parties and innuendo thank you very much!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hmmm. Could the pole-dancing thing be a precursor to swinging, kind of like a 'get to know your neighbor's wife so she can bang you and your husband at a later date'? Just a thought.

And, IMO, pole-dancing aerobics with an instructor seems okay. (I can't imagine myself doing it...) But having a get-together with some friends to watch each other work the pole? Sounds suspicious...heh heh.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

Believe it or not, Anon, I think the person who shows you how to do the dances (the party 'host') actually brings the pole! She's sort of like a traveling Tupperware person for the stripper set.

In a way, I'd prefer it to be BYOP. I'm not sure I want to work a pole that has been worked over by people I know. Think of the germs! Maybe it is Windexed between songs.

4:19 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Wow, a variant of Maypole dancing? Methinks not (at least hopefully). I'm just amazed that people are so bored with their lives they have to think up crap like this.

Hey, lets have a stick-in-the-eye party! Coctail sticks!

Oh, I finally remembered to link to you today. It must have been the hotdog or something...

8:00 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh lord, I saw that too!

So let me get this straight, Today Show, pole dancing is fine but a beer while watching the kids is akin to child abuse.

Yeah. Got it.

8:14 PM  
Blogger theotherbear said...

I had a friend do her own little pole dance at my place once at a party and it was humiliating for her, if she'd only realised. No, I don't have a pole, she ad libbed with the post holding up my back patio.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh. then i better get another idea for your 40th bday party...

this seems soooooo wrong. mrs. chicky is right on-- this is 'liberating' yet a glass of wine at a playdate is taboo??! wha?

:>)

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in for the stick in the eye. I totally don't get this craze at all. Oh, look another way for women to pretend to be liberated. Men certainly aren't pole-dancing their way into liberation.

I believe that these women are doing this for themselves about as much as I believe women who tell me their breast implants are just for them and not for man eye-candy. Sheesh.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Life As I Know It said...

I saw the segment on the Today Show too and was thinking the exact same thing.
No way. No how.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Wow, how comfortable (buzzed?) would you have to be around a group of women to do that kinda thing? I'd be embarrassed enough doing it alone in front of my husband...

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OTJ already said what I would have said if she hadn't already said it.

Except instead of a stick, I'd like to use rusty nails to poke my eyes out. Or maybe sporks.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Magpie said...

I am so glad that I don't anyone who would try and invite me to such a thing. It's just wrong. And gross.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ever happened to Tupperware parties? Too funny!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home